Look at my new dress!

20140418-212650.jpg

I’ve spent all day sewing and I’ve loved it. Making pockets, binding, setting in sleeves… All things I’ve never done before. I’m so pleased with it!

It’s called the Kate dress and is a pattern (and fabric) from Sew Me Something in Stratford upon Avon. I added waist ties to it as I thought it might need them to add shape. Admittedly, if I made it again is probably go down a size and try to match the patterns better. But there are three different versions of the dress on the pattern to make so maybe I’ll try one of those.

Still, it’s a dress I’ll actually wear and I made it! Hurray!

20140418-212632.jpg

20140418-212711.jpg

20140418-212721.jpg

20140418-212728.jpg

20140418-212619.jpg

Short skirt

20140414-211452.jpg

Made a short skirt today. Used liberty fabric again and then a Great British Sewing Bee pattern. It was fairly easy and great to practise sewing hems, finishing raw edges and making a casing. To be honest, I’m not sure
I’ll wear it as it’s quite short, see through and not that flattering. But maybe in the summer, over swimwear on the beach holiday I’m sure we’ll book… Someday… Maybe…

20140414-211509.jpg

20140414-211525.jpg

20140414-211634.jpg

Summer Drape Top

I made myself a top this evening, for the summer. I’m still a very beginner sewer, so I picked an easy looking project from the “Great British sewing Bee, Sew your own Wardrobe” book. The fabric is a Liberty off cut, which you only need a metre of. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out, although it’s quite big in places and I’ll admit to making a fairly silly mistake, which I’m not going to tell you about! But overall, it’s a perfectly wearable summer top.

20140412-212320.jpg

20140412-212326.jpg

20140412-212332.jpg

20140412-212338.jpg

Today I made an apron

So about a year (maybe two years…) ago we had a snow day and I spent the afternoon cutting pattern pieces for this apron from the Liberty Book of Home Sewing. Well, I never got around to finishing it. So yesterday, when cleaning I thought it was about time that instead of moving the fabric to dust under it, I should just finish the thing. So that’s what I did today…
I should point out that I am utterly useless with a sewing machine. Straight lines end up wonky, curves inevitable go off the edge, the tension is all wrong… But somehow I get there in the end. And I’m learning.

20140406-212015.jpg

20140406-212021.jpg

20140406-212027.jpg

20140406-212036.jpg

Pom Pom Mittens

Yes, I know it’s the wrong time of year to knit mittens but this kit was a present for my Birthday in December and I really struggled to start it. At times I didn’t understand the pattern, didn’t know how to increase, couldn’t visualise how what I was knitting would become a mitten…
Anyway, the first one (the left) took a while but the second one I started last night and have just finished it today!

20140316-172828.jpg

20140316-172814.jpg

20140316-172807.jpg

20140316-172759.jpg